CPU Optimization for using R2 as workstation(from Windows 7)

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous CPU Optimization for using R2 as workstation(from Windows 7)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys, first post here. Basically, I spend this weekend figure out why R2 seems “slower” in some task compare to Windows 7. For example, when I play a 1080p h264 file using ffdshow+some filter, there is no problem in Windows 7, but for some reason my CPU can’t keep up in R2.

As it turns out, R2 was optimized for server (of course), so they set the power management settings according to that goal, which doesn’t suit a workstation usage. For example, Intel Turbo Boost is disable in Balanced plan. I switch to High Performence first, but that doesn’t allow core parking. I search and search and search and read some documents from Microsoft how to change those, but it is both confusing and sometimes just not working.

So, instead, I export the entire registry settings on Processor Power mamagement and import it to R2. It seems to be working great so I think I should share. This should be especially useful for Nehalem CPU (Core i7/i5 – mine is Core i7 860). Hope you find it useful.

By the way, I got this from Windows 7 RC since I don’t have access to RTM installation right now.

That’s odd, you should not have such issues..

Did you follow the guide in full? Adjust for performance and applications, enable required services etc?

Anonymous

That’s odd, you should not have such issues..

Did you follow the guide in full? Adjust for performance and applications, enable required services etc?

Yes I did. The registry from Windows 7 fixed it. I mean, normally you won’t notice, especially on any CPUs other than Nehalem. But it is a big different because Windows 7 do quite a bit of optimization for Nehalem. SMT-parking and Turbo Boost management, for example. By default on R2, it won’t do any of these because the R2 development team assume that most of the tasks you do on server is multi-thread, don’t require instant jump from lowest P-State to highest, etc. All of these add together make quite a different.

Anonymous

Yes I did. The registry from Windows 7 fixed it. I mean, normally you won’t notice, especially on any CPUs other than Nehalem. But it is a big different because Windows 7 do quite a bit of optimization for Nehalem. SMT-parking and Turbo Boost management, for example. By default on R2, it won’t do any of these because the R2 development team assume that most of the tasks you do on server is multi-thread, don’t require instant jump from lowest P-State to highest, etc. All of these add together make quite a different.

Any body tried this yet ?

Thanks

Anonymous

Any body tried this yet ?

Thanks

hey, could someone post these registry keys?

Anonymous

hey, could someone post these registry keys?

Just wanted to bring this up again because it’s important for people with Core i5 750 processors too.

I spent forever tweaking the BIOS trying to figure out why the Turbo Boost functionality wasn’t working – changing the power plan to Performance from Balanced fixed the problem. Since the i5 750 doesn’t do hyper threading, I don’t care about the SMT parking functionality, so I can’t say if these registry settings help with that or not.

But this is just a heads up for Core i5 750 users. Cheers!

Anonymous

Just wanted to bring this up again because it’s important for people with Core i5 750 processors too.

I spent forever tweaking the BIOS trying to figure out why the Turbo Boost functionality wasn’t working – changing the power plan to Performance from Balanced fixed the problem. Since the i5 750 doesn’t do hyper threading, I don’t care about the SMT parking functionality, so I can’t say if these registry settings help with that or not.

But this is just a heads up for Core i5 750 users. Cheers!

I imported these settings, didnt seem to change much really.
                Then again, i have a quad core machine, with each core at 4 gig, with 8gig of ram, so that MAY make a difference.

Anonymous

I imported these settings, didnt seem to change much really.
                  Then again, i have a quad core machine, with each core at 4 gig, with 8gig of ram, so that MAY make a difference.

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. For the past weeks I’ve been switching between the High Performance plan when I’m at my computer and the Power Saving plan when I go away for longer than 10 minutes, because with the Balanced plan Intel Turbo Boost wasn’t working. I’ve installed the registry entries now though, and Balanced correctly switches between 1.6GHz when I’m doing nothing and 2.9GHz (for multi threaded apps) or 3.0GHz (for single threaded apps) respectively, when I’m doing stuff (baseline freq is 2.6GHz for my Xeons). Awesome!

Anonymous

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. For the past weeks I’ve been switching between the High Performance plan when I’m at my computer and the Power Saving plan when I go away for longer than 10 minutes, because with the Balanced plan Intel Turbo Boost wasn’t working. I’ve installed the registry entries now though, and Balanced correctly switches between 1.6GHz when I’m doing nothing and 2.9GHz (for multi threaded apps) or 3.0GHz (for single threaded apps) respectively, when I’m doing stuff (baseline freq is 2.6GHz for my Xeons). Awesome!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.