Compatibility issues under Windows Server 2012 R2

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 R2 Applications Compatibility Compatibility issues under Windows Server 2012 R2

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I’m opening this topic to share my own experience with Windows Server 2012 R2.

First of all I must confirm that the Server 2012 to W/S fits Server 2012 R2 perfectly. All drivers installed properly, though I had to manually update some of them. Most hardware tools do not install and run. ASUS AI Suite, EPU-6 Engine, TurboV EVO and T.Probe prompt me that the “model is not supported”. However when I copy-pasted the installation files and registry entries from Windows 7 to Windows 2012R2, I got the following result:

TurboV EVO and T.Probe run smoothly, EPU-6 was unable to find AsIO.sys although it was present in C:WindowsSysWOW64drivers, yet it was able to run. AI Suite never ran.
      VIA HD Audio Deck installs fine, and works in Win7 compatibility mode. Problem is that it almost always freezes and cannot launch from tray or desktop short-cut.

Finally AMD Catalyst 13.1 installs fine but still experiences the problem Portal2Two describes in http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2217

Latest versions of free antiviruses do not work even with Scimitar’s trick, but Ad-Aware. I haven’t tried Orca but I definitely will ASAP.

Firefox, DjView, Adobe and Foxit Readers, 7Zip, EAC run as in Win8. So did MikTex, MATLAB 2013, EViews and Stata.

Strange thing that when I installed CDBurnerXP it could not recognize my dvd writer a Toshiba-Samsung TSST SH-S182D!!! No burning software did.

What I actually need to make my Workstation safe and productive, is to find a way to solve the Catalyst issue, another to bypass the compatibility problem Avast 2014 free reports and make my dvdburner able to record disks again. ASUS’s tools are something I could live without, but I mentioned them in case someone needs info.

Anonymous

Hi !

Welcome to the forum !

Your post is a bit hard to read.
        It´s a lot of text in one BIG chunk.
        It´s easier for other members to help you if they can read your post…

I suggest that you clean it up a bit, edit and put CR/LF (newlines) between each sentence,
        add some blank lines in the text etc. 😉

Anonymous

Hi there.

More info available.
          Mp3tag, Foobar 2k, Audacity, Skype (for desktop), MyDefrag and Kingsoft Office 2013 run with no problems. Dropbox and OpenVPN too.

Apart from Ad-Aware, BitDefender free is another antivirus that runs on Win Server 2012R2.

Does anyone know where can I get Orca? I read I have to extract it from Windows Installer SDK, but I also found this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Authoring-tools/Setup-creators/Orca.shtml. Is it the one?

Anonymous

@Dimitris_S wrote:

Does anyone know where can I get Orca? I read I have to extract it from Windows Installer SDK, but I also found this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Authoring-tools/Setup-creators/Orca.shtml. Is it the one?

I have no idea…
            The easiest (and safest !) would be to download the SDK from Microsoft.
            Extraction is easy.
            Don´t you know where to find it ?

Regarding installing software, there is some info about the “usual” tricks here:
            viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2463

btw. thanks for cleaning up the text in your first post, now it´s readable…

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

Regarding installing software, there is some info about the “usual” tricks here:
              viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2463

I’ll give it a try as soon as I get to activate Windows. Some features seem locked, some others are. And this MS number is always busy… 😡 Anyway.

I cannot use the registry hack for the AMD Catalyst. The specified registry keys are missing. I also found out that such entries do not exist in Win7 or Win8 registries. Odd…

Anonymous

Application Verifier did the trick for Avast 2014!

Thanks man!!!

I also came across the following way to run EPU-6 Engine and T.Probe. It was for Windows 8 but it does the job on Windows 2012R2 too. (NOT my trick, no credit taken for it.)

1. Run setup.exe in compatibility mode (win 98/win ME).
                2. Run AsAcpiIns.exe 64bit (cannot recall if this is actually needed).
                3. Run AsSysCtrlIns.exe and AsSysCtrlService.exe
                4. Run AsIoIns.exe
                5. Restart and the EPU should automatically launch with windows.

For T.Probe just run the installer in compatibility mode (win 98/win ME). Maybe it requires steps 2-5 too, but I cannot confirm it, since I installed it after the EPU-6 installation.

Anonymous

Unable to install on Windows Server 2012 R2 the Windows Phone app for desktop. Only available for windows 7 and 8. Any help guys?

Anonymous

Cannot say, but it seems there is some kind of incompatibility with some apps. Camera, Photo, Skydrive and some ASUS specific preinstalled on my windows 8 asus laptop cannot be found anywhere in the store, when I sign in from server.

Anonymous

Like all Windows Servers, Cd burning is blocked by a security policy that nobody found a way to disable. You can do cd burning only on Administrator account, with UAC disabled. You can use software like CD burning XP click-ing on the them „Run as Administrator”. For the build-in function of burning, you need to stop Windows Explorer from Task Manager, then re-open it with Administrator privilegies. After you are done with burning, stop Windows Explorer again from Task Manager, and re-open it with normal privilegies (this last step is important for security issues).

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

Like all Windows Servers, Cd burning is blocked by a security policy that nobody found a way to disable. You can do cd burning only on Administrator account, with UAC disabled. You can use software like CD burning XP click-ing on the them „Run as Administrator”. For the build-in function of burning, you need to stop Windows Explorer from Task Manager, then re-open it with Administrator privilegies. After you are done with burning, stop Windows Explorer again from Task Manager, and re-open it with normal privilegies (this last step is important for security issues).

I don´t use WS2012-R2 (yet) so I can´t comment on CD-burning only on the ADMIN-account.
                        But if so, why kill & then restart explorer ?
                        It would be easier just to switch to the ADMIN-account, burn CD, switch back to the USER-account….? 😉

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

I don´t use WS2012-R2 (yet) so I can´t comment on CD-burning only on the ADMIN-account.
                          It would be easier just to switch to the ADMIN-account, burn CD, switch back to the USER-account….? 😉

I read a discussion regarding WS 2008 r2 on a Microsoft forum on this, a MS engineer said this is the only way to use the OS-ul build-in burnind features. For me, it is easier to kill Windows Explorer and bring it back again, instead of sign out, sign in. It feels lighter. And I forgot to add that, if I only want to burn an iso, I can switch back to Windows Explorer with limited UAC privileges even before the burning process finshes. On my older PC I run WS 2008 r2, on there a have a old Nero OEM license, it works fine, I click Run as Administrator and it works fine. On my new machine, I run WS 2012 r2, on there I burn on much rare occasions, for now I use only the build in burning functions of Windows. My opinion is that, even if you ran a Windows Server OS or a normal Windows OS, you still have to rely on 3rd party burning apps with proven reliability, like Nero or CDBurnerXP, because they bring a lot more costumization options, and that means more freedom and more safety. The burning features build-in Windows rely on pre-loaded functions.

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

@Lotusisrael wrote:

You’re making it too hard.

Actually all you need is an old program from 2004 – Nero BurnRights and a few security policy changes.

Fire up Secpol.msc.
                            In Local PoliciesSecurity Options –
                            Set “Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media” to “Administrators and Interactive Users”
                            Set “Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only” to “Disabled”

As to Nero BurnRights – New Versions are available @ http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/.
                            BUT then you have to futz around with them, because the Nero boys are d**ks when it comes to file compatibility.

So here is an old version that just plain works :), from back when the Ahead crew knew what they were doing 😉
                            http://www.rm.com/Support/GeneralDownload.asp?cref=DWN993790&nav=0
                            Documentation is also there.

Run the program as an Administrator.
                            The Program Compatibility Assitant will tell you “This program has compatibility issues”.
                            Click on the “Run the program without getting help” line and it will install fine.
                            Once it is done installing, it will bring up it’s interface, but normally the defaults are OK.
                            Now you need to reboot, and then burn your disks with any account.
                            If you need to access the Nero BurnRights interface, it is in the Control Panel.
                            Take the time to use Orca on Nero and sail on.

BTW – I run with UAC off, so you may need that also, I never bothered to check that 😳

I also have System Restore installing and working as it should in 2012 r2, doing scheduled and install points.

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

@Dimitris_S wrote:

I have no idea…
                              The easiest (and safest !) would be to download the SDK from Microsoft.
                              Extraction is easy.
                              Don´t you know where to find it ?

Regarding installing software, there is some info about the “usual” tricks here: happy wheels
                              http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2463

btw. thanks for cleaning up the text in your first post, now it´s readable…

I’ll give it a try as soon as I get to activate Windows. Some features seem locked, some others are. And this MS number is always busy… 😡 Anyway.

I cannot use the registry hack for the ADM Catalyst. The specified registry keys are missing. I also found out that such entries do not exist in Win7 or Win8 registries. Odd…

Viewing 12 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.