Comodo Firewall Installer

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Applications Compatibility Comodo Firewall Installer

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #47615
      AvatarArris
      Moderator

      Hello xternal,

      I tried to patch the installer executable and got over the OS Version error message. However while installing, some other error occurs and it rolls-back the installation. I guess it must be possible, but it’s harder than I thought. Maybe someone else can find a work-around, for example by fooling the installer that it is running on a Vista OS.

      Arris

    • #47616

      I just spent two hours trying to find a way to decompress the EXE – whatever CDI stands for, its some crazy compression I cant get into.

      This sucks. I have no firewall apart from Windows Firewall now. :'(

      Comodo worked fine on my “dodgy” copy by the way Arris, but now im running 2008 100% legally so thats all gone 🙁 I believe a Vista tokens.dat is the only way to fool the OS to thinking it’s Vista- “natively” anyway, without some kind of layer to intercept everything.

      Maybe I can make a 100% custom installer program for it…. not sure. That’d be hard and risky. But there is no other firewall to choose 🙁

    • #47617

      check out webroot firewall:
      http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-desktopfirewall.html

      I’ve never used Comodo so I’m not sure how it will compare, but it installs on Server 2008 x86/64 fine

    • #47618
      AvatarArris
      Moderator

      @JonusC wrote:

      Comodo worked fine on my “dodgy” copy by the way Arris, but now im running 2008 100% legally so thats all gone 🙁 I believe a Vista tokens.dat is the only way to fool the OS to thinking it’s Vista- “natively” anyway, without some kind of layer to intercept everything.

      Maybe I can make a 100% custom installer program for it…. not sure. That’d be hard and risky. But there is no other firewall to choose 🙁

      The tokens.dat method is indeed a good way to fool installers that the OS is running Vista. Maybe you can install a tokens.dat from Vista temporarily, install the applications that do an OS check and then copy back the backed-up tokens.dat file of Windows Server 2008. It’s a rigorous way, but it works in most of the cases…

      An other good antivirus/firewall is Eset Smart Security Business Edition. If you have set it to “Interactive Mode” you have control over all applications that are connecting to the internet and ports that are opened. In the Zone and rule setup it is possible to set custom restrictions to all applications and ports.

    • #47619

      @Arris wrote:

      The tokens.dat method is indeed a good way to fool installers that the OS is running Vista. Maybe you can install a tokens.dat from Vista temporarily, install the applications that do an OS check and then copy back the backed-up tokens.dat file of Windows Server 2008. It’s a rigorous way, but it works in most of the cases…

      You gave me a really good idea i’m going to check out as soon as I get my new PC up and running! I’ll let you guys know 😉

      @Arris wrote:

      An other good antivirus/firewall is Eset Smart Security Business Edition. If you have set it to “Interactive Mode” you have control over all applications that are connecting to the internet and ports that are opened. In the Zone and rule setup it is possible to set custom restrictions to all applications and ports.

      I actually use Eset AntiVirus Business Edition [glorified NOD32 for those that don’t know] as my antivirus of choice these days – of all my favorites from the years, I always ended up going back to NOD32 in the end! One of the annoying features of other firewalls these days is exactly that – they say they have an “Interactive” or “Learning Mode” but most of them still don’t give you full control – I miss Kerio 2.1.5 quite a bit. But I will DEFINATELY check that out – having Eset AV + Firewall would surely be more friendly on RAM aswell, hoping they have some kind of unified driver or somesuch hey. Cheers!

      Oh P.S. Have you guys checked out the newest PeerGuardian 2 Release Candidate that has alpha-stage Vista compatibility? It works well for me – albeit the HTTP Blocking slows down my Firefox to a crawl [IE7 works well with it though] but I keep that off anyway and really only use PG2 for blocking nasty IP’s for BitTorrent so i’m happy. Anyway, off topic! 🙄

    • #47620
      AvatarArris
      Moderator

      @JonusC wrote:

      You gave me a really good idea i’m going to check out as soon as I get my new PC up and running! I’ll let you guys know 😉

      Hope your idea will succeed. 😉 Didn’t try that tokens.dat file myself, but expect that it is possible to revert to the Server 2008 tokens.dat file to enable all features of Server 2008 again.

      @JonusC wrote:

      I actually use Eset AntiVirus Business Edition [glorified NOD32 for those that don’t know] as my antivirus of choice these days – of all my favorites from the years, I always ended up going back to NOD32 in the end!

      That’s for me the same. I have used Symatec Antivirus Corporate / Symantec Endpoint Protection and some others, but finally returned to Eset Antivirus because of the way less false-positives and light-weight realtime scanner.

    • #47621

      Hello,

      Any updates on how to install comodo?

      Please post the steps to follow if you have succeeded.

      Thank you!!

      Mc

    • #47622

      I’ve moved away from Comodo to the all-in-one suite ESET Smart Security, version 4 works 100% fine. Afraid I can’t help, this thread is pretty much dead.

    • #43455

      Hi there,
      Has anyone been able to edit the comodo installer to force it to install on Server. There is a x64 vista version so i dont see why it wouldnt work, it just seems like its a simple setting in the .exe installer preventing it. Its not an .msi file otherwise i would do the orca trick.

      Cheers
      xternal

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.