Can I upgrade from Windows 2012 to 2012 R2?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 R2 Miscellaneous Can I upgrade from Windows 2012 to 2012 R2?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Does the upgrade work as the consumer version of windows? I use my windows server 2012 as a workstation, which mean I do not have any domain or anything related to server tools on.

Anonymous

Hi !

I think a read some info in another thread saying it should be possible.
        Do a search…
        Personally i´m doing a clean install, that´s usually the best way to do it…

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

Hi !

I think a read some info in another thread saying it should be possible.
          Do a search…
          Personally i´m doing a clean install, that´s usually the best way to do it…

I have too much stuff and applications to do a clean install. This is my main computer which has been always stable for me. Doing a clean install is not going to work, I got Windows Server 2012 R2 free from Dreamspark and I want to do an upgrade but I am still not clear if this will work like in the consumer version of windows which just upgrade everything easily.

Anonymous

I can’t offer any insight into upgrading to R2 from 2012 as I did a clean install. But there is quite a lot of information on TechNet:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e8893736-18da-46c7-9ce1-739622f3c61c/upgrade-from-windows-server-2012-to-2012-r2

HTH

Anonymous

There is a possibility to do it but need to open install.win and edit upgrade matrix to allow upgrades…. But we are in grey zone here.

I do suggest a clean install, it does not take so long to install.

N 🙂

Anonymous

@Cicero wrote:

I can’t offer any insight into upgrading to R2 from 2012 as I did a clean install. But there is quite a lot of information on TechNet:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e8893736-18da-46c7-9ce1-739622f3c61c/upgrade-from-windows-server-2012-to-2012-r2

HTH

Well from that link and the responds on TechNet, it looks like in my case it will be an easy upgrade because I do not have any domain or any other server tools installed or configured. I just use Server 2012 as a consumer version of Windows. I need to download first and test it. I will try to do it this weekend and report back 😉

Anonymous

@Cicero wrote:

Yes, there is a lot of information on Technet.
                  I did a search yesterday, and almost all info is about upgrading to R2-preview, not RTM.
                  So i´m not sure that the info is reliable for RTM…
                  A clean install is always the best.

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

@Cicero wrote:

Yes, there is a lot of information on Technet.
                    I did a search yesterday, and almost all info is about upgrading to R2-preview, not RTM.
                    So i´m not sure that the info is reliable for RTM…
                    A clean install is always the best.

I know a clean install is always the best option but I have so many stuff that I really don’t want to backup and transfer these. I rather experiment to see if the upgrade will work fine. If the upgrade is not reliable enough and I see some issues or instability… I will do the clean install. I will try to upgrade tomorrow Sunday.

Anonymous

if you have anything you care about on the machine, make a full disk clone before ‘upgrading’, that way if upgrade fails, you do not need to spend hours restoring to original, you can just power off, remove your clone drive, put the original back in, and boot directly back to W2012 as if nothing happened.

Then you can re-clone your image and try to upgrade again sooner than if you were forced to revert a bad upgrade.

Anonymous

Ok guys, the upgrade went fantastically successful. The machine works like a charm. The upgrade worked just like any consumer version of Windows. It took 2 and half hours to do it. I tested most of the apps and works great. I just want to delete the folder “Windows.old” does anyone know how I can delete this folder? thank you.

Edit: Windows.Old folder resolved.

I went to this site and followed the steps: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2527-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-8-a.html

Anonymous

Hi Guys

just done the same upgrade and all went well system seems faster after R2 upgrade no apps needed reinstall very happy 😀

Viewing 10 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.