boot time

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #51068

      @MaLiXs wrote:

      the longest part of the boot is just after the login …

      Yep, it’s pretty common – because of missing Superfetch service.

    • #51069

      hmmm ok …. but can i make something to reduce the boot time ?

      anyway my os is faster than w7 x64 with superfetch … so i can wait a little more on boot time 😈

      after few hour of tweaking testing and gaming i dont whant to return on w7 lol

    • #51070

      @MaLiXs wrote:

      anyway my os is faster than w7 x64 with superfetch … so i can wait a little more on boot time 😈

      That’s exactly my thought! 😉

    • #51071

      u use solid color as wallpaper ?

    • #51072

      Before switching back to Server 2008 I had AVG on R2 and in order to optimize my boot time I would set the AVG watchdog + email services to Automatic (Delayed Start) in Services console. This shaved a few seconds off my boot time to around 45 seconds. I had minimal services running and nothing on startup as you have done to your machine. I went back to 08 and have never looked back. Observe. Not bad huh, and this is WITH antivirus.

    • #51073

      @aviv00 wrote:

      u use solid color as wallpaper ?

      what do you mean by this ???

      and for halladayrules :

      i also start my system with complete solution of eset smart security and i use like 1.2gb of ram …

    • #51078

      I was researching the issue when I came across this find:

      Open up registry editor.

      Start > Run Type in: regedit

      Navigate to following key:

      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicesSystem

      On the right pane window right-click in an empty white space and choose New > DWORD

      Name it DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout
      Give it a value of 5.
      Press F5 to refresh the registry.
      Restart your computer and see if you notice any faster boot time.

      Note: This will signal the shellswitchdesktop event, a trigger which basically tells Windows when to display the desktop. You might notice your wallpaper white for a brief moment this is because the OS hasn’t yet loaded your wallpaper, but not to worry its normal because we’ve set the delayed timeout to a small number. I’ve noticed that on a lot of Windows Server machines it can hang on Preparing your Desktop for quite a while. I hope this fixes it.

    • #51079

      [attachment=0:2x8dakbg]disable_logon_delay.zip[/attachment:2x8dakbg]
      Wow, what a great tip! Thanks!

    • #51080

      thx ill try this fix

    • #51081

      @AsciiWolf wrote:

      [attachment=0:3g02zbrb]disable_logon_delay.zip[/attachment:3g02zbrb]
      Wow, what a great tip! Thanks!

      Thank you AsciiWolf. This tip is really dependent on the speed of your hardware. If you have a Intel Celeron running only 512MB on server 2008 I don’t care if you signal the delayeddesktopswitchevent to 1 second it will not display the desktop in 1 second due to hardware limitation. It’s all dependent on how powerful of a system you got. On my quad core it boots up in 40 seconds on 2008 WITH antivirus. Before it was booting up in about 55 seconds. Nice gain.

      EDIT: I’ve installed Server 2008 R2 again on my machine to see how it would respond with NOD32 AV and the DelayedDesktopSwitch. I am proud to report that my desktop is booting up in 34 seconds with a reduced memory footprint of 628MB compared to 1GB last time on R2. The problem had something to do with AVG. AVG is not getting any more good remarks from me anymore. Their firewall sucks, the malware protection is not that great, it slows down your response time, boot time, NOD32 FTW.

      RE-EDIT: Well this is just lovely. I got my video, sound, network driver all installed, java, flash player, NOD32 AV and i decided to update windows to latest, and now my configuring updates freezes at 15% and is stuck in an infinite loop. I go into safe mode to revert changes, and then re-download the updates again (another 15 minutes to wait), it does same thing. Back to tried-and-true Server 2008. The only OS that has never let me down.

    • #51082

      the fix make good job with my C2D e8400 at 4ghz lol

      thank now the boot it more comparable to Win 7

      …but now someone know how to delay the application start in R2 same that the prog Soluto can make on Win7

    • #51083

      IT IS SAFE TO USE DELAYEDDESKTOPSWITCHEVENT TWEAK.

    • #51084

      If you want a faster boot time (and more responsive system), install eBoostr 4.0 and give it 1 or 2GB RAM cache (not SSD/Flash card but system RAM). When the cache is built up properly it’ll make login take approx. 1-2 seconds. I can’t even read any of the other text that flashes by, I just see “Preparing your desktop” for a second.

    • #51067

      @mufunyo wrote:

      If you want a faster boot time (and more responsive system), install eBoostr 4.0 and give it 1 or 2GB RAM cache (not SSD/Flash card but system RAM). When the cache is built up properly it’ll make login take approx. 1-2 seconds. I can’t even read any of the other text that flashes by, I just see “Preparing your desktop” for a second.

      Looks like a nice alternative to ReadyBoost. Results will vary machine to machine though. Not everyone has 16 logical CPU cores, a 15,000 RPM SCSI, and 16GB of registered DDR3 memory 😆

      EDIT: Here’s the results of my boot time using the eBoostr service. Not bad.

      Gotta love Server 2008.

    • #51076

      @halladayrules wrote:

      Looks like a nice alternative to ReadyBoost. Results will vary machine to machine though. Not everyone has 16 logical CPU cores, a 15,000 RPM SCSI, and 16GB of registered DDR3 memory 😆

      I boot from the Intel SSD RAID array though, not from the Cheetah disk 😉

      @halladayrules wrote:

      Here’s the results of my boot time using the eBoostr service. Not bad.

      How does that screenshot show the boot time?

    • #51077

      @mufunyo wrote:

      @halladayrules wrote:

      Looks like a nice alternative to ReadyBoost. Results will vary machine to machine though. Not everyone has 16 logical CPU cores, a 15,000 RPM SCSI, and 16GB of registered DDR3 memory 😆

      I boot from the Intel SSD RAID array though, not from the Cheetah disk 😉

      @halladayrules wrote:

      Here’s the results of my boot time using the eBoostr service. Not bad.

      How does that screenshot show the boot time?

      Well the up time actually but its basically the same thing. If you want to count the time it takes for my BIOS to load every then the total boot time is around 45 seconds. Literally my BIOS is insanely slow even with quad core, so i didn’t put it into equation. I was just showing the results of my boot test from the time the operating system loads (aka Up Time).

      I went ahead and re-installed R2 again since I realized that registry key was the culprit of my Windows Update. I must say, without AVG and this eboostr this machine is probably the fastest it has ever been. Amazing how a simple program like this and the resource pig that AVG was made my computer so slow. Now it loves R2. Looks like I’m back in business on the R2 train again.

    • #51075

      @halladayrules wrote:

      Well the up time actually but its basically the same thing. If you want to count the time it takes for my BIOS to load every then the total boot time is around 45 seconds. Literally my BIOS is insanely slow even with quad core, so i didn’t put it into equation. I was just showing the results of my boot test from the time the operating system loads (aka Up Time).

      Ooh, right! I never knew that. Up to now, if I wanted to know my uptime I ran systeminfo in a command prompt 😆

      If you think 45 seconds of POST is slow, never buy a server motherboard. I haven’t clocked it, but with BMC (IPMI module) init time and SAS RAID card POST time, it’s got to be over a minute. Windows only takes like 15 seconds though.

    • #51074

      Incredible. I just installed a fresh copy of R2 on a brand new DVD (ISO from Microsoft Dreamspark’s site) and the installation went well. I installed all my drivers and got all the features installed to my liking (desktop experience, wireless lan, .net framework 3.5, backup, ftp). Everything still fine. I download that eBoostr program and reboot. Now my computer is really really fast. (sub 30 seconds up time). I installed windows update. The last time my updates got stuck at an endless loop of 15%. Not this time. It went fine. I installed NOD32 Antivirus, that goes fine as well. I reboot and then blue screen. LOL incredible.

    • #51085

      @halladayrules wrote:

      I installed NOD32 Antivirus, that goes fine as well. I reboot and then blue screen. LOL incredible.

      That’s why I go bareback when it comes to antivirus solutions. The last antivirus software I actively used was TBAV back in ’98 :mrgreen:.

    • #51086

      @mufunyo wrote:

      @halladayrules wrote:

      I installed NOD32 Antivirus, that goes fine as well. I reboot and then blue screen. LOL incredible.

      That’s why I go bareback when it comes to antivirus solutions. The last antivirus software I actively used was TBAV back in ’98 :mrgreen:.

      Yeah if your cautious enough and implement safe security precautions you can get away with it. I usually have all my mission-critical porn I mean data stored on separate hard disks strictly for the purpose of if the rare chance comes a virus wipes me out or I am unable to remove it and I need to revert to a recently restored disk image of the OS. I do a lot of torrenting and its nice to have an AV scanner on hand though to keep those pesky trojans at bay.

    • #51087

      After some exhausting research of trial-and-error I found the reason my “configuring updates” froze at 15% was due to NOD32. I am able to workaround this by disabling NOD32 antivirus completely before installing Windows Updates, or if I forget I have to force shutdown the computer and reboot into safe mode to complete updates. It is safe to use the “DelayedDesktopSwitchEvent” key. Please disregard my previous message. I have deleted it.

    • #44096

      i would like to know if it normal that the boot is longer on server 2008 R2 than on W7 ultimate …
      the longest part of the boot is just after the login …

      i don’t have a lot of application in startup and a deactivate some service ….

      thank …

      sorry for my poor English 😳 it could be fun if someone can write me in french 😆

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.