Bad Windows-GUI and Game Performance

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Bad Windows-GUI and Game Performance

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi.

I installed Win 2008 R2 SP1 today. Everything runs fine and smooth. Overall performance is great.

The only problem is, that many GUI elements are responding very delayed.

Starting up/maximizing the browser lets appear its GUI black for a short time. Switching tabs in my IRC client takes up half a second. Scrolling through the playlist in my music player is laggy too.

Additionally, the game performance is very bad. I got Win 7 installed and all games ran fine with ~ 60 fps. Now I’ve got 25 – 40.

System/drivers up to date. All patches. Legit.

Phenom 2 X4 965 BE
      12 GB DDR3
      Radeon 4850
      Non OC

Any ideas?

Answer yes or no to following questions in reply.

1. In your Advanced System Setttings, is your processor allocating resources to Programs (not Background Services)?

2. Do you have the catalyst control center installed as well as the base display driver for your 4870?

3. Is your monitor running in a larger DPI (125%, 150%?)

4. Is Hyper-V role installed?

5. Is hardware acceleration on? (Right-click desktop, choose Screen Resolution. Click Advanced Settings. Click Troubleshoot tab. If the option is grayed out then its on. If it gives you an option to change it, check to see if its on full.)

6. Are you using the most up-to-date graphics driver?

7. Have you installed your motherboards chipset drivers? Does it work?

8. Did you save a lot of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico?

1. In your Advanced System Setttings, is your processor allocating resources to Programs (not Background Services)?
      Yes.
      2. Do you have the catalyst control center installed as well as the base display driver for your 4870?
      Yes, but CCC crashed instantly so I removed. Tried all drivers from 11.3 to 11.8.
      3. Is your monitor running in a larger DPI (125%, 150%?)
      No.
      4. Is Hyper-V role installed?
      No.
      5. Is hardware acceleration on? (Right-click desktop, choose Screen Resolution. Click Advanced Settings. Click Troubleshoot tab. If the option is grayed out then its on. If it gives you an option to change it, check to see if its on full.)
      Yes.
      6. Are you using the most up-to-date graphics driver?
      Yes, tried many.
      7. Have you installed your motherboards chipset drivers? Does it work?
      I tried with and without them. No difference.
      8. Did you save a lot of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico?
      Lol.

Change your power profile to max performance.

Open up taskman, and enable kernel usage (red line)

Do some GUI stuff, and see if its kernel mode or user mode cpu thats being used the most.

If your cpu graph stays flat or close to it, while the gui is still really delayed, that points to a graphics card issue.

Do you have aero turned on? Is the actual driver installed properly for the video card? Check your device manager.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.