ATI Catalyst Control Center cannot start

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compatibility (New) ATI Catalyst Control Center cannot start

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve just assembled a brand new computer with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 video card. ATI Driver 8.7 installation went flawlessly, however the ATI CCC (Catalyst Control Center) is unable to start with the following error:

The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager.

If I try to start the CCC manually from the ATI system tray icon, the Basic wizard comes up and freezes right away.
      Anybody has any idea or suggestion what to do now? I have notified AMD support.

Yeah I have the same problem, in the end I uninstalled the CCC and just installed the driver.

BTW, there is a hotfix version of the driver for the 48** series, which helps with the heat issues – im not sure if the 8.7 version includes it or even if its integral to the CCC, hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject.

BTW, as anyone had win2K8 running with a Crossfire setup yet?

I urge you to notify ATI (AMD) support about your problem starting CCC. The more of us do it the sooner, the earlier will they react by testing – and hopefully fixing – their stuff on our beloved OS.

I just hit this issue with the 8.8 driver that just came out. The wierd thing is — the 8.7 install went FINE for me on my clean box. I tried to install the 8.8 on top of at — boom, CCC cannot start. Now the same thing happens when I install the 8.7! I am sure there is some registry cleaner that will make things work smoothly again.

Anyway, as long as I can O/C it and set the fan speed without CCC, quite frankly I’d rather not have the CCC running.

It seems Donald24 allready pointed out a fix for this in an earlier post, does it work for you too?

I’ve had this on a Server 2008 Installation, after I swapped it for an Nvidia card. Though properly uninstalled the Nvidia-driver and cleaned, Windows started up with your error-message, the ATI basic wizard hung up with 100%CPU, I got into the CCC with twice loading the advanced CCC, and then only 2 items of the configuration list were showing up (information-manager, display manager) not letting me do anything with 3D or video configuration.

Though I don’t think that Nvidia driver installation has anything to do with it, as I’ve got a couple of ASP.net errors, and decided to deinstall the NETFramework 3.0 feature through the server-manager. But no deinstall reinstall procedure got me a working CCC.

I’ve reinstalled Win2008 without .NETFramework 3.0 feature, then installed Intel chipset drivers, then Radeon 8.3 Hotfix and got a fully working CCC now.

@coiken wrote:

It seems Donald24 allready pointed out a fix for this in an earlier post, does it work for you too?

I’ve reinstalled Win2008 without .NETFramework 3.0 feature, then installed Intel chipset drivers, then Radeon 8.3 Hotfix and got a fully working CCC now.

Thanks for the info. However, I do not plan to reinstall my entire OS for a buggy piece of ATI software, and I’m not even sure it would work: a friend of mine installed 2008 x64 without the .NET feature and he got the same CCC error as I did.

I’m actually running fine without CCC, apart from the fact that I can’t force AA on a couple of games. (All the overclocking and fan-controlling can be done with the ATI BIOS editor.)

It seems to work okay the very first time you install it after you a fresh install of Windows (it did for me twice). Then, I uninstalled it, tried installing a new version, got the bug, uninstalled the new, tried to put the previous back, and got the bug.

Unfortunately, since I mostly use this box for gaming, I’ve decided to go back to Vista 64, since I have to O/C my video card. You can use the *driver* okay, just not CCC. In fact my 3dmark vantage score went up 200 points under Vista! Perhaps because I had forground programs getting more priority and not background services.

I really enjoyed using Server 2008 as a workstation, but Vista 64 really isn’t that bad. I also had problems with gaming when Hyper-V was installed even when the services weren’t running.

My conclusion is that unfortunately Server 2008 does NOT make a great gaming O/S, even though all my games ran very very smoothly under it! It’s still better to stick with Vista for gaming.

On 32-bit O/S with 2GB of memory, it’s Server 2008 all the way! This stinking 4ghz 4GB monster I got FINALLY has enough horsepower not to run Vista like crap 🙂

See y’all around! “I’ll be back.”

I have the same problem and I am running a dell precision 470 with dual 3.6 xeons and 7 gig of ram. I am running x64 2008 server enterprise edition. I also don’t know what program to run to play dvd’s… While aero is working I think that the video seems to be slow for some reason. I am using an ati 2600 xt 512 meg of video ram, I am not a game player, but want to watch dvd’s. I feel that server 2003 was better because the catalyst program was working, maybe someone can recommend something better than nero 8 ultimate for a dvd player, thanks. Also if someone can come up with a ccc fix I would appreciate it.

How do you know if video hardware acceleration is turned on as in server 2003 you could adjust it, in 2008 I don’t see a way to do that as it is grayed out.

@48548 wrote:

I have the same problem and I am running a dell precision 470 with dual 3.6 xeons and 7 gig of ram. I am running x64 2008 server enterprise edition. I also don’t know what program to run to play dvd’s… While aero is working I think that the video seems to be slow for some reason. I am using an ati 2600 xt 512 meg of video ram, I am not a game player, but want to watch dvd’s. I feel that server 2003 was better because the catalyst program was working, maybe someone can recommend something better than nero 8 ultimate for a dvd player, thanks. Also if someone can come up with a ccc fix I would appreciate it.

First of all, I urge you to file a bug report about CCC not working on Server 2008 at the AMD/ATI site. The more of us whine, the sooner will they move a finger.

About your OT question regarding DVD playing: I use Media Player Classic (as a player) and FFDShow (as a codec pack) for all my video needs, including DVDs, AVIs, HD content (MKV, BD, HDDVD) and anything else. It’s developed and maintained by a small group of dedicated individuals, it’s free and provides the highest quality and customization a media player can give you.

A google search for these two above will lead you straight to the download site.

I am going to call them on monday, it was to late today. I am not going to let it go. Just waiting to speak to someone about it, also is there anyway to turn on the hardware acceleration or is it on by default?

I had the same error when i updated my drivers from 8.3 to 8.8, i did managed to get it working without that error.

This is what i did and it succeeded (hopefully it will work for you to):
      1. run 8.8 installer again and select uninstall, remove everything, restart if asked
      2. go into device manager and if it still says that you have ati graphics then right click it and uninstall from there, restart if asked
      3. in device manager i had some generic graphics driver now (i believe that installation wont work properly until you manage to clean you system from ATI drivers so that windows selects that generic driver), and i was able to install 8.8 drivers without that error showing up, offcorse restart again after installation

I followed your advice and when I removed the driver, I told it to installed the software under device manager and delete the software(something like that, besides uninstalling it gave me option to remove it along with uninstalling it) and that seemed to have worked. Thanks for the info and I wanted to say I was able to load 8.8 just fine and the ccc is working fine.

None of these solutions worked for me however I found one that did, after installing the full CCC w/ drivers and receiving the error I thought “hmm…why not uninstall from device manager then redetect” I did…restarted CCC using start->programs->ccc->restart runtime and it worked fine!

I didn’t need this for gaming, etc. I am using this on my 46inch vizio and there was 10% overscan, this is the only way i can fix the overscan issue. Everything is great now.

Thanks LVNeptune, I can confirm that your solution does work.

YOUR FIX WAS SO DAMN AMAXING I HAD TO REGISTER TO THANK YOU AND AM TRYING TO FIND ALL THE OTHER FORUMS I WAS SEARCHING ON TO TELL THEM ABOUT THIS SOLUTION.

I am running windows server 2008 64 bit. I had 8.8 i guess. installed 8.9 to fix my 60 fps max problems on CS source. 8.9 driver fixed the problem (probably was locking vsync). But the CCC kept crashing. One would think when you installed the package the new drivers for the display adapater would be updated. Trying to revert back to older packages like 8.8, 8.7 produced the same errors on CCC.

The fix was indeed from above. Install the 8.9 cat set, then go to device manager, uninstall the display adapter from there and redetect, then run CCC again from start->programs->CCC->Restart runtime

Thank you again it had been giving me hell since last night.

Credit origin on fix: http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=398&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10
      Web search keywords:

Error Message:

The features in the ATI Catalyst Control Center Basic View do not support the currently active graphic processor.

To launch the Advanced View, click on the Advanced View button. Otherwise, click Exit to close this dialog.

“the catalyst control center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter “

@LVNeptune wrote:

None of these solutions worked for me however I found one that did, after installing the full CCC w/ drivers and receiving the error I thought “hmm…why not uninstall from device manager then redetect” I did…restarted CCC using start->programs->ccc->restart runtime and it worked fine!

I didn’t need this for gaming, etc. I am using this on my 46inch vizio and there was 10% overscan, this is the only way i can fix the overscan issue. Everything is great now.

I tried the removing using the device manager, then ‘redetect’ for the driver and reinstalled. It did not work, I am still getting the error. I am thinking I missed a step. I assume that uninstalling is a simple as “right click on > Display adapters > uninstall”, then perform the redetect…. I am missing anything? B

I just registered to say thank you to all you guys here.

The stupid CCC problem has been very annoying for me since I need the rotation feature from it and 3rd party tools don’t really work well with win2008.

Though what works for me is slightly different from the standard solution. I have to reboot twice after uninstalling from device manager and after re-detecting. Then I don’t need to “restart runtime” since reboot takes care of that.

Anyway, really really appreciate all the input here. You guys saved me a lot of pain and hair, since I can finally stop pulling it now. 😛

Thank you guys all. I have one suggestion for this solution. If you just installed win2008 x64, try installing ccc(without driver) first and then driver. Not vice versa. Cheers!

Also try using 8.11 beta that worked fro me although i think i may have accidentaly done the above in the process!

Installed the 8.11 Today. It fucked up and CCC couldn’t recognize the driver.

Solution for me was to first uninstall the driver in the device manager. After that completely uninstall everything that came with the caralyst package. Rebooted and installed Catalyst 8.11 again and it worked fine.

When I tried the 8.11 Beta a week ago I didnt get it working, and I believe I did almost the same thing.this time.

So I’m not really sure. Just mess around with the Device Manager uninstall-thing and have some patience.

Installing 8.11 right without uninstalling the 8.10 was a fail-project.

I hope this will give someone a little hope if the new Catalyst fucked up. I’m running the X86 Enterprise Edition.

// JimiEm

Ive just put 8.11 on mine replacing the beta and ive got it all installed without a hitch i can play games fine everything usal but i now cant open the advanced CCC

Any one tried the 8.12 version today??
      It’s out 😈

wow nice. it WORKED!

installed catalyst 8.12 went to device manager… uninstalled my driver… redetected it… control panel is working 😀

I have been playing with server 2008 for some time and the same as the rest over here, the drivers work ok but CCC doesnt. Lots of ACEblabla errors, ccc shows a popup at the beginning saying there is no compatible hardware, ccc eating cpu time and the memory use simply growing and growing. Someone mentioned the .NET 3 thing and I decided to give it a try. At the end of the day, I ended up removing completely everything from ATI and .NET 3 . Then I rebooted the machine, nice 800*600….. and then I went with regedit to see if there were ATI entries in the registry. Found some under HKLM and HKCU. I Removed them ALL, not only the 64 bit ones but the WOW64 ones too. Then I reinstalled the 9.1 drivers+ccc and it is finally working. I hope it can help. Btw, I have 2008 enterprise installed. 64bit of course. I still have to see if reinstalling .NET 3 screws the thing up, atm I don’t need It.

I hope anyone has succes with it too.

Update, I reinstalled .NET 3 and ccc still works, lets hope that the next driver update sill works.

@vodanh wrote:

The fix was indeed from above. Install the 8.9 cat set, then go to device manager, uninstall the display adapter from there and redetect, then run CCC again from start->programs->CCC->Restart runtime

This fix worked for me as well. I have 2008 64-bit and a X1600 card. I installed the current 9.2 drivers and had the same CCC problem. Followed the quick steps above and wham!! it worked. CCC is running just fine. Very easy – thanks!!!

Aloha

Laptop can hold 2GB of RAM can i put one 2GB card into one slot without problems?
      i have a compaq presario C700. it can hold 2GB of RAM (i have 2 RAM slots with both of them holding 512MB cards). I was looking to upgrade to 2GB total, and learned that it would be cheaper to buy one 2GB RAM card instead of two 1GB cards. what should i do?

Hi everyone,

I was running WS2008 64 with 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 8800GTS w/o any problem. I could play basically any game that my card supported.
      Last week I got a pair of Radeon 4870×2 and suddenly things turned ugly. I removed the old card, old nVidia drivers (the usual way, no drivers cleaner or anything, I never used them ‘cos I never needed them) and install both cards in crossfire mode (actually this would be Quadfire since there are 4GPUs) and then I installed the latest drivers + CCC 9.6. Everything was ok, no installation errors. However, when I tried to run 3DMark Vantage the PC freezes just when the tests are about to start. I restarted and again, same problems. I tried Crysis (it was working fine with the 8800GTS) and the same happen. As soon as the game starts it freezes.
      I checked the PSU (corsair 1000HX), PCIE connections and everything was ok. I tried again with no luck.
      I went to ATI website and guess what?…there is a note in the drivers section that says: “Windows Server 2008 NOT SUPPORTED”.

So I removed it and installed Vista Ultimate 64 but this time I couldn’t get the drivers running. I got the following error:

“The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager.”

I’ve tried everything since then. Only 1 card, both cards with no crossfire enable, etc. I always got the same problems. CCC never manage to run properly and always hangs with CPU @100%

I removed Vista Ultimate 64 and installed the 32 bits version and so far I managed to installed the latest drivers + CCC and run 3DMark w/o any problems. I’m testing games now.

My conclusion is that despite what many ppl post in some forums about running 2 of these cards in crossfire under Vista Ultimate 64, the drivers don’t work properly for 64 bits systems. I’ve also read that the problem is the combination of ATI drivers + crossfire + 8GB of RAM. I will test the cards again this weekend using 4GB in Vista 64 and WS2008 to see what happen (boy the PC will suck with 4GB and Vista 64!!).

I don’t know about you people but in my case it was not only the CCC 9.6 not working but it was also the fact that the PC freezes when trying to run any 3D application.

I will keep you posted. Just remember that according to ATI website and their forum, Windows Server 2008 is not a supported OS for ATI graphics drivers. 🙁 Too bad because this OS rocks!!

FWIW, had these same problems on my system… Dell Optiplex 755 with an Radeon 2400 Pro, Server 2008 x64 w/ SP2. I had the CCC issues before & had been running for the past few months using the driver-only install. Decided to give Catalyst 9.7 a shot. At first, I had the same problems as before… BSOD mid-install whenever I selected the “custom” method. I then tried the “express” option and voila! no BSOD, install went smoothly… but still ran into the same error when attempting to launch CCC.

Then I tried LVNeptune’s method & that did the trick for me too!

The only caveat after that was that my two displays were stuck in clone-mode. Disabled one, then re-enabled it(using the extend option). At first, it didn’t show any of the LCD’s resolutions aside from 640×480, but changing the color depth seemed to refresh this as well. So everything works now, thanks!

I came looking here after I just installed R2 on my ‘starting to age’ Pentium 820D with 2 Gb RAM and a Radeon X300 se Graphics card – not used for gaming, but purely so that I can use a dual monitor (extended desktop) setup. I initially tried to install the latest drivers (driver only) v9.3, but they would not install throwing an error. I uninstalled this driver and installed the complete CCC package and driver (again 9.3). CCC installed no problem but would not run, and the driver had not been installed. I fixed this problem after reading through the posts here and downloaded and installed driver version 8.7. Thanks!

CCC uses hardware acceleration which is OFF by default in Windows Server 200x. I have not tried it with Windows Server 2000 but the same also occurs with Windows Server 2003 as well. It’s simple to fix. Microsoft turns OFF all video acceleration by default. Just go to Settings–>Control Panel–>Display and the Settings tab and then on the Advanced button and then use the Troubleshoot tab to get to the hardware acceleration controls. It will be set VERY low. Move it over to the right to enable your cards advanced features. CCC will reset itself after a few seconds or you can just restart it. You should now be OK, I use version 9.3 of CCC since it works on ALL their Radeon cards (even my crummy old X600XT or my newer HD 4870) except the HD 5xxx series and works on all post NT(4 – 7) OS versions unlike newer versions.
      Thus, I’d also use 9.3 and not older or newer version.

😎

dang, no 5 series support still. well, i’ll pick up the next gen nvidia w/hdmi out (need to use the ccc for overscan on 1080p monitors). nvidia auto detects 1080 without issue. made the mistake of picking up a 5850. i guess nvidia is still on top in terms of their gpu SW.

Are you saying Ati 5 series will not work on server or just CCC?

the ccc (to adjust overscan). if i use the driver by itself, i get a small centered distorted desktop. my monitors are 1080p, and i need that overscan adjustment. nvidia does it automatically.

it’s not a solution, as you can see from the last post in that thread 🙁 plus, i don’t have those reg entries. bummer.

i have installed a Saphire Radeon HD 4670 1G DDR3 on a dell T710 server running windows 2008 R2 64x and have had no luck with getting it working. i get the “CCC is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics card” error message when trying to start CCC. i also sometimes get “ATI CCC cannot be started because the currently active GPU is not supported” i have tried all the solutions but no luck. however in devices the graphics card show up correctly and as working. i just can’t seem to make it connect to my monitor. do i even need CCC for that, and if not how can i connect the second monitor?

FIXED:

Install the drivers using device manager after unpacking the .exe to a temp folder.

Unpack the CCC application (sometimes in a different .exe) to a temp folder.

%tmpfolder%PackagesAppsCCCCore-Staticccc-core-static.msi

This is the CCC install msi. If the drivers are properly installed then this should be launchable from %systempartition%Program Files (x86)ATI TechnologiesATI.ACECore-StaticCCC.exe
      and will detect the ATI GPU.

Working with 5770 and package “10-6_vista64_win7_64_dd” on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Horray for .msi files in packed .exe’s

This was posted by a username that is not allowed in the forum.
      That username has been deleted 2014-12-03
      hackerman1 (Administrator)

@rogue__admin

Thx a lot.
      This was the hint I needed because CCC didn’t even install on my System.

For all others:

I tried “10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.exe” & “10-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_enu.exe” both didn’t install the driver and the CCC. I was able to install the driver manually with the device manager, but not the CCC.
      The Solution of rogue__admin brought me a working CCC.
      Thank you for sharing your findings.
      🙂
      Regards, Michael

Same issue 3 years later, same problem with reinstalling Catalyst and still no go for Hydra and Video Converter, as reported here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1875&p=8842&sid=2afbaf353455977ab67a4d28a91c308c#p8842

This was posted by a username that is not allowed in the forum.
      That username has been deleted 2014-12-03
      hackerman1 (Administrator)

I can confirm that installing a driver separately before CCC does the trick – all Catalist Control Center features work after reboot. If they don’t, uninstall Radeon driver from Device Manager, and then Scan for Hardware Changes to re-install the same driver and reboot. You don’t need to separately unpack CCC installer – it is unpacked before install to C:/ATI dir., just run downloaded .exe, cancel installation, and find Drivers – Display folder there, then point to its 1-st .inf file from Device Manager.

If that still doesn’t work, add Acceleration.Level D-Word key with Value = 0 to your ATI Radeon GPU device subkey in Registry, as described here and reboot. Despite Change Settings button in Advanced Display Settings – Troubleshooting is still greyed out, all DirectX features are hardware accelerated – you can check it by running DirectX Diagnostic Tool from Windows Help. One can play with other acceleration options by changing corresponding key values or adding missing keys in the same Registry subkey – just compare its content with the same subkey from Windows 7 Registry. It can possibly add support for Hydra and Video Converter, but I didn’t try that. 😀

It looks like AMD intentionally blocked full CCC feature support, since Win Server 2008R2 code is trimmed compare to Win 7, and doesn’t support some Win 7 video functions, as mentioned by MS R2 Developers on their support forums addressing CCC and similar graphics issues. It also makes sense to block CCC for marketing reasons, as AMD and MS are partners.

This worked for me (to uninstall everything, install just the driver, then install the CCC). I did not have to unpack anything, the installer game me the option of installing just the AMD Vision Engine Control Center. After which, the AMD VECC operates normally and I could alter the scan mode – FINALLY. 3 days of wrangling and now my integrated HD4200 works with my LCD monitor that only has an hdmi port (and thus was defaulting to underscan). I am using the eval Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks to everyone who’s posted here!

Ok I’m losing it.

After building a new rig. I installed my Radeon HD 6950. The driver works great, but still can’t get the CCC package to work after installing.

So I am stuck using a non HDMI cord for the moment.

I couldn’t get the package to unpack but not install. Help on that please!

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION!!!!

Need help guys , running windows server 2k8 r2 , running dual ati 6870s I tried the method above of installing the AMD driver without catalyst and then re running install after and selecting catalyst but still it wont open. Even when I try to open the catalyst center I do not get any error at all it just doesnt open. Any ideas? thanks

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.