Anyone having difficulty with installing gadgets in R2?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Anyone having difficulty with installing gadgets in R2?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I am faced now with two identical and strange issues on two seperate laptops with their R2 installs. While the themes, sidebar and default installed gadgets work and one can add any of the default installed gadgets to the sidebar and they will run fine, but in contrast I get an “unspecified error” whenever I attempt to install any new gadgets. As long as it “thinks” about it, it would appear to be at least at some level extracting the gadgets, but failing to run them and calling up the error. I did not see this issue on my super-mega server on its R2 install (although driver support makes R2 unusable on that machine oddly; so it still runs WS08x64 ENT…)

If anyone has run into this issue and found any sort of solution, I’d love to hear about it – even anyone seeing the same problem as I have yet to see anything via Google that applies. The first machine this happened on I spent a day trying to resolve it with no resolution in sight… Let me know if any debugging data etc. would be helpful to attempt to work the issue. I’ve already covered everything I can think of (re-registering .dll’s etc. etc…)

Thanks in advance.

Strange indeed. Did you try many downloadable gadgets or just one (maybe it’s buggy itself)?
      On my machine, everything works fine (including, for example, this one).
      And when I install a gadget, it doesn’t actually “think”, the gadget usually appears almost instantly (less than one second) after i click “Install” button in confirmation window.

Does your machine give any error messages or other feedback when you click *.gadget files? What exactly happens?

Anonymous

Strange indeed. Did you try many downloadable gadgets or just one (maybe it’s buggy itself)?
        On my machine, everything works fine (including, for example, this one).
        And when I install a gadget, it doesn’t actually “think”, the gadget usually appears almost instantly (less than one second) after i click “Install” button in confirmation window.

Does your machine give any error messages or other feedback when you click *.gadget files? What exactly happens?

Yes, I get just the opposite; has been exhibited on two machines so far, a long, long wait and then an “unspecified error” which without bothering to really debug things, shows no where in the Event Log or elsewhere… Happens on any gadgets except those already installed. Really weird and unexplained for me; I am surprised with me seeing it on 2 machines so far that no one else has. Due to that issue and several other strange bugs, I have stuck with WS08x64 ENT. – NO R2…

Wish I knew what the heck the deal was with it. The only machine that did NOT act this way, R2 won’t run on due to all sorts of driver issues. So, while I “like” R2, it does not like our operations whatsoever; everything still running WS08x64 R1…

Anonymous

Yes, I get just the opposite; has been exhibited on two machines so far, a long, long wait and then an “unspecified error” which without bothering to really debug things, shows no where in the Event Log or elsewhere… Happens on any gadgets except those already installed. Really weird and unexplained for me; I am surprised with me seeing it on 2 machines so far that no one else has. Due to that issue and several other strange bugs, I have stuck with WS08x64 ENT. – NO R2…

Wish I knew what the heck the deal was with it. The only machine that did NOT act this way, R2 won’t run on due to all sorts of driver issues. So, while I “like” R2, it does not like our operations whatsoever; everything still running WS08x64 R1…

Bump bump (sorry I know that is “taboo” but I have a bit of an update;) don’t know how it helps find the root cause, but it is interesting. The one machine that new gadgets would install on, the OS didn’t jive on this server; ironically I ran a brand new install, now the OS runs like a top, but it is replicating the “Unspecified Error” BS when trying to install any gadgets other than what comes with the OS; any help appreciated!

Thanks
          ME

Anonymous

Bump bump (sorry I know that is “taboo” but I have a bit of an update;) don’t know how it helps find the root cause, but it is interesting. The one machine that new gadgets would install on, the OS didn’t jive on this server; ironically I ran a brand new install, now the OS runs like a top, but it is replicating the “Unspecified Error” BS when trying to install any gadgets other than what comes with the OS; any help appreciated!

Thanks
            ME

As per the norm, issues such as this seem to only crop up for me, for I see little to no activity in this thread. So all things being the same, while it would seem no one else is experiencing this annoying issue, I have found a work-around for anyone out there that becomes plagues with this issue themselves. After running the .cmd file to install the sidebar, do not start it and/or be certain it is shut down. You may install gadgets that DO NOT reside in the sidebar that are not the native gadgets included with the release. Once you have installed your favorite non-default gadgets to the desktop, you can close them and open the sidebar. From there you will see that they appear and in the prior step you’ll find you won’t receive the “unspecified error” message while installing your favorite gadgets to the desktop with the sidebar closed.

I hope this helps someone out there, I have not had the time to try and properly debug this issue, but for now this is a feasible work-around that can be used so you can install your favorite gadgets to the sidebar.

If this is unclear at all, please post in this thread; likewise I implore anyone having this problem to post to the thread as well so perhaps we can start to troubleshoot this issue and put an end to it for the few it would seem that are affected… Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

CAP’N’CRUNCH

Anonymous

As per the norm, issues such as this seem to only crop up for me, for I see little to no activity in this thread. So all things being the same, while it would seem no one else is experiencing this annoying issue, I have found a work-around for anyone out there that becomes plagues with this issue themselves. After running the .cmd file to install the sidebar, do not start it and/or be certain it is shut down. You may install gadgets that DO NOT reside in the sidebar that are not the native gadgets included with the release. Once you have installed your favorite non-default gadgets to the desktop, you can close them and open the sidebar. From there you will see that they appear and in the prior step you’ll find you won’t receive the “unspecified error” message while installing your favorite gadgets to the desktop with the sidebar closed.

I hope this helps someone out there, I have not had the time to try and properly debug this issue, but for now this is a feasible work-around that can be used so you can install your favorite gadgets to the sidebar.

If this is unclear at all, please post in this thread; likewise I implore anyone having this problem to post to the thread as well so perhaps we can start to troubleshoot this issue and put an end to it for the few it would seem that are affected… Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

CAP’N’CRUNCH

Very weird. maybe the the media you installed from is corrupted?

Anonymous

Very weird. maybe the the media you installed from is corrupted?

Sure isn’t; I have gotten all sources from Microsoft directly and still find repeatability since this started. Oddly enough, even though this last and final install on the giant server workstation was “brand new stuff” directly from Microsoft again. The only time I did not have problems as described in my original post was when installing the leaked RTM; no problems with the sidebar allowing me to download and install additional gadgets. While perplexing and annoying, there is a work-around for the issue, but there shouldn’t need be one.

I only wished someone else would stumble across this issue and post here so we could get to the bottom of the conflict causing it. It pretty well has to be associated with something unique to my systems and I wouldn’t know what that is; ESPECIALLY since it has exhibited itself on a friend’s laptop as well. Very strange indeed! Perhaps when this first manifested I should have dug up the old leaked RTM and looked for repeatability…

I am not new to this game at all, 30 years doing this and I ran WS08x64 ENT as a workstation before most had imagined it (Vista was absolutely unusable for what we needed, yet we needed a workable 64-bit OS – other than at that time the wonderfully orphaned OS of Windows XP-Pro-64…)

As mentioned before, if and when I have time I will crank up VS and step through an install of a gadget and take a look at what the problem might be. The only thing at all I can imagine is perhaps a conflict with .7zip or WinRar which are two apps always installed ASAP. Don’t really know and cannot fathom a guess at this point…

Anonymous

Sure isn’t; I have gotten all sources from Microsoft directly and still find repeatability since this started. Oddly enough, even though this last and final install on the giant server workstation was “brand new stuff” directly from Microsoft again. The only time I did not have problems as described in my original post was when installing the leaked RTM; no problems with the sidebar allowing me to download and install additional gadgets. While perplexing and annoying, there is a work-around for the issue, but there shouldn’t need be one.

I only wished someone else would stumble across this issue and post here so we could get to the bottom of the conflict causing it. It pretty well has to be associated with something unique to my systems and I wouldn’t know what that is; ESPECIALLY since it has exhibited itself on a friend’s laptop as well. Very strange indeed! Perhaps when this first manifested I should have dug up the old leaked RTM and looked for repeatability…

I am not new to this game at all, 30 years doing this and I ran WS08x64 ENT as a workstation before most had imagined it (Vista was absolutely unusable for what we needed, yet we needed a workable 64-bit OS – other than at that time the wonderfully orphaned OS of Windows XP-Pro-64…)

As mentioned before, if and when I have time I will crank up VS and step through an install of a gadget and take a look at what the problem might be. The only thing at all I can imagine is perhaps a conflict with .7zip or WinRar which are two apps always installed ASAP. Don’t really know and cannot fathom a guess at this point…

Viewing 12 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.