Aero in Remote Desktop

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Wish List Progress Aero in Remote Desktop

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Arris

Description
        Get the Aero effects Windows Server 2008 R2 when connecting via Microsoft Terminal Services Client (mstsc). Now you only get the Windows 7 Basic theme.

Solution
        Thanks to [localurl=viewtopic.php?p=5874#p5874:ljl7ntkj]mayunia's comment[/localurl:ljl7ntkj] I added a new page to the manual so you can configure Remote Desktop to offer Aero without having the need to install any Server Role! 🙂 Read the howto here.

Wish satisfied! :geek:

I guess you mean without installing Terminal Session Host.

I wonder if the registry trick for R1 works…

Anonymous

I guess you mean without installing Terminal Session Host.

I wonder if the registry trick for R1 works…

[s:1hjkxsk8]I believe I had tried using a Registry tweak, but the one you and Arris linked to seems different. I will try it out and post my results.

I am also on Windows Vista as the host and apparently you can't connect with Aero to a Server 2008 R2/7 guest.[/s:1hjkxsk8] Nope, doesn’t work with Vista as host using this tweak. As I am not using a multi-boot installation, I cannot try using a “compatible” OS. I do get a free copy of Windows 7 (because of laptop) when it comes out so I’ll try then. It *should* work (hopefully). The tweak does, however fix this problem:

The VMware 7.0 Technical Preview apparently supports Aero without tweaks, too bad it expires at the end of October and the link Arris gave me downloads at ~15KB/s.. we’ll have to see when a public beta comes out.

Anonymous

[s:1hjkxsk8]I believe I had tried using a Registry tweak, but the one you and Arris linked to seems different. I will try it out and post my results.

I am also on Windows Vista as the host and apparently you can't connect with Aero to a Server 2008 R2/7 guest.[/s:1hjkxsk8] Nope, doesn’t work with Vista as host using this tweak. As I am not using a multi-boot installation, I cannot try using a “compatible” OS. I do get a free copy of Windows 7 (because of laptop) when it comes out so I’ll try then. It *should* work (hopefully). The tweak does, however fix this problem:

The VMware 7.0 Technical Preview apparently supports Aero without tweaks, too bad it expires at the end of October and the link Arris gave me downloads at ~15KB/s.. we’ll have to see when a public beta comes out.

Just a note to anyone who is looking to use a Virtual Machine with Server in it, the latest versions of VMware’s products (Workstation, Player, etc) support Aero so that may be a good alternative for some people. I am currently using VMware Player 3.0 RC and it seems stable, and it’s free. Previous versions didn’t let you create new VMs but this release does so anyone who wants a free alternative to VMware Workstation (or other virtualization software) for their Virtual Machines might want to try the player. This way you do not need to use Remote Desktop if you are using a VM. For those who still need to use RDC because they need to connect to an actual PC, we still do not have a solution so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them.

Screenshot of Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMware Player: http://i38.tinypic.com/x0u0c1.png

Download VMware Player 3.0 RC: http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/player

Anonymous

Just a note to anyone who is looking to use a Virtual Machine with Server in it, the latest versions of VMware’s products (Workstation, Player, etc) support Aero so that may be a good alternative for some people. I am currently using VMware Player 3.0 RC and it seems stable, and it’s free. Previous versions didn’t let you create new VMs but this release does so anyone who wants a free alternative to VMware Workstation (or other virtualization software) for their Virtual Machines might want to try the player. This way you do not need to use Remote Desktop if you are using a VM. For those who still need to use RDC because they need to connect to an actual PC, we still do not have a solution so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them.

Screenshot of Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMware Player: http://i38.tinypic.com/x0u0c1.png

Download VMware Player 3.0 RC: http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/player

@xxcom9a wrote:

Previous versions didn’t let you create new VMs but this release does

Good news, thanks for the info. Previously, I’ve been using only VirtualBox just because I could create and save/restore the machines w/o any limitations. Now it’s time to check out VMWare Player to see which VM is better… :geek:

Anonymous

@xxcom9a wrote:

Previous versions didn’t let you create new VMs but this release does

Good news, thanks for the info. Previously, I’ve been using only VirtualBox just because I could create and save/restore the machines w/o any limitations. Now it’s time to check out VMWare Player to see which VM is better… :geek:

Wow, good news!
                Does it also support DirectX/OpenGL apps (like games)?

Anonymous

Wow, good news!

@AsciiWolf wrote:

Wow, good news!

Well here is the feature list:

Feature Highlights:

• The ability to create Virtual Machines
                  • Aero support for Windows 7 and Windows Vista guests!!!
                  • OpenGL support for Windows guests (give Google Earth a try!)
                  • New User Interface including a Virtual Machine Library
                  • Windows 7 support (as a Host and Guest OS)
                  • Automatically download and install the latest VMware Tools package
                  • Multiple Monitor Support
                  • Print from your VM without installing printer drivers. Virtual Printing courtesy of our friends at ThinPrint.
                  • ALSA Sound support on Linux hosts enables multiple VMs to play “music” concurrently
                  • VIX API support will let our coding fans write applications that can interact with their VMs

I haven’t tested it for games yet but I might try one when I get back home.

This thread is encountering problems with SecondLife, but I’m not sure how intense the graphics in that game are, etc. I will do some tests when I have time.

EDIT: The final versions of the latest VMware products have been released.

Anonymous

@AsciiWolf wrote:

Wow, good news!

Well here is the feature list:

Feature Highlights:

• The ability to create Virtual Machines
                    • Aero support for Windows 7 and Windows Vista guests!!!
                    • OpenGL support for Windows guests (give Google Earth a try!)
                    • New User Interface including a Virtual Machine Library
                    • Windows 7 support (as a Host and Guest OS)
                    • Automatically download and install the latest VMware Tools package
                    • Multiple Monitor Support
                    • Print from your VM without installing printer drivers. Virtual Printing courtesy of our friends at ThinPrint.
                    • ALSA Sound support on Linux hosts enables multiple VMs to play “music” concurrently
                    • VIX API support will let our coding fans write applications that can interact with their VMs

I haven’t tested it for games yet but I might try one when I get back home.

This thread is encountering problems with SecondLife, but I’m not sure how intense the graphics in that game are, etc. I will do some tests when I have time.

EDIT: The final versions of the latest VMware products have been released.

Wow! VMWare Player 3.0 can now create machines, supports Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL (!!!) and is FINAL and FREE for personal use…

I think I’m in love 😀 I’m gonna be trying Doom 3 in it tonight 😆

Anonymous

Wow! VMWare Player 3.0 can now create machines, supports Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL (!!!) and is FINAL and FREE for personal use…

I think I’m in love 😀 I’m gonna be trying Doom 3 in it tonight 😆

Arris

@JonusC wrote:

I’m gonna be trying Doom 3 in it tonight 😆

Haha, I already tried Unreal Tournament 2004 which can also run in OpenGL mode after modding the ut2004.ini file, but it crashed with an error that some feature of OpenGL is not supported. 😛 However, it’s great that it’s now possible to create Virtual Machines in VMWare Player and that it has a better support for hardware accelerated graphics! 🙂

Anonymous

@JonusC wrote:

I’m gonna be trying Doom 3 in it tonight 😆

Haha, I already tried Unreal Tournament 2004 which can also run in OpenGL mode after modding the ut2004.ini file, but it crashed with an error that some feature of OpenGL is not supported. 😛 However, it’s great that it’s now possible to create Virtual Machines in VMWare Player and that it has a better support for hardware accelerated graphics! 🙂

FFS, install Terminal Services, enable desktop compostition, then disable Terminal Services.
                          You get to keep Aero after that.

Anonymous

FFS, install Terminal Services, enable desktop compostition, then disable Terminal Services.

Arris

@portalcake wrote:

Nice tip! By installing the Remote Desktop Session Host service of the Remote Desktop Services Server Role and removing it immediately again, you ‘ll get Aero in Remote Desktop. I updated the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1045:18jdcb2d]first post[/localurl:18jdcb2d] with the steps needed. 🙂

Anonymous

@portalcake wrote:

Nice tip! By installing the Remote Desktop Session Host service of the Remote Desktop Services Server Role and removing it immediately again, you ‘ll get Aero in Remote Desktop. I updated the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1045:18jdcb2d]first post[/localurl:18jdcb2d] with the steps needed. 🙂

Hiiiii
                                http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2009/06/23/aero-glass-remoting-in-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Manual steps to enable Aero Glass remoting on Windows Server 2008 R2

Enabling Aero in the remote session on Windows Server 2008 R2 requires the “Remote Desktop Session Host” role. The feature is not available on servers without the RDSH role installed and with /admin sessions even when the RDSH role is installed.

The following steps set up the server to support Aero Glass remoting:

1) Add the Desktop Experience feature from the Server Manager.

2) Set the Themes service to autostart, and start the Themes service.

3) Enable the “Allow desktop composition for remote desktop sessions” policy from gpedit.

The policy path is “ComputerConfigurationAdministrativeTemplatesWindowsComponentsRemote Desktop ServicesRemote Desktop Session HostRemote Session Environment”

4) Enable 32bpp:

In Server Manager, go to “RD Session Host Configuration” under “Remote Desktop Services” role, right-click on the connection to bring up “RDP-Tcp Properties”:

Uncheck “Limit Maximum Color Depth” from “Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.”

Anonymous

Hiiiii
                                  http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2009/06/23/aero-glass-remoting-in-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Manual steps to enable Aero Glass remoting on Windows Server 2008 R2

Enabling Aero in the remote session on Windows Server 2008 R2 requires the “Remote Desktop Session Host” role. The feature is not available on servers without the RDSH role installed and with /admin sessions even when the RDSH role is installed.

The following steps set up the server to support Aero Glass remoting:

1) Add the Desktop Experience feature from the Server Manager.

2) Set the Themes service to autostart, and start the Themes service.

3) Enable the “Allow desktop composition for remote desktop sessions” policy from gpedit.

The policy path is “ComputerConfigurationAdministrativeTemplatesWindowsComponentsRemote Desktop ServicesRemote Desktop Session HostRemote Session Environment”

4) Enable 32bpp:

In Server Manager, go to “RD Session Host Configuration” under “Remote Desktop Services” role, right-click on the connection to bring up “RDP-Tcp Properties”:

Uncheck “Limit Maximum Color Depth” from “Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.”

Arris

@mayunia wrote:

Hiiiii

Thanks for this useful link! 🙂 Added a new page to the manual! :geek:

Anonymous

@mayunia wrote:

Hiiiii

Thanks for this useful link! 🙂 Added a new page to the manual! :geek:

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                  • The topic ‘Aero in Remote Desktop’ is closed to new replies.