Activation with a Dreamspark Key

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Activation with a Dreamspark Key

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I can’t find a clear answer in the forum.

What is the maximum number of times you have been able to successfully activate using the same Dreamspark key over the telephone?

The reason I ask is that I tinker a lot with my system and often reinstall/rebuild (as I’m sure many of you do). I have already had to use my activation key more than once however as WS2008 said my system needed activation again, on the same day as I’d installed it the first time. This brings me to a reminder which I don’t think I’ve seen yet in the forum.

DO NOT ACTIVATE UNTIL ALL YOUR DRIVERS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED. It appears that product activation interprets recognition of an existing piece of hardware (now possible due to the new driver installation) as a change in the system and hence a possible reinstallation. Therefore it needs to be reactivated.

Looking forward to your answers/actual experiences.

Yes, you are right that the system will require activation again if it feels the system has changed since last registration.

For this reason MS gives you a 3 day grace period where you can update your drivers and get everything working before you should activate.

Not sure how much help my post will be, but it may be a guideline.

I have no experience with Dreamspark, but I have been using MSDN Academic Alliance keys for some years. And while I cannot really answer the question about this specific case (I have activated win2k8 a total of 3 times – once over internet, twice over phone), in years past I have activated windows XP about 10 times (about 3-4 times over internet, the rest by phone) all the while constantly moving it from one machine to other (even got the message “You have spent number of activations for this product key, please ener new key” once, but still activated it by phone). I know that activation for XP is somewhat different, but I don’t believe you are limited by a number here, as long as you know what to tell when making that phone call.

Mainly, my problem is that it won’t activate at all…

I have called MS about this and all they say is to buy a new license… Like I am going to spend -another- 1200$ for a single license.

I tried online activation, it tells me the DNS does not exist.
      Over the phone it tells me I that my key is invalid… yet I installed fine and it even selected the correct version from the disk.

I am at my wits end here. I either need another license or a genuine bypass so I can use the OS that I purchased at work when I decide to move from 2k3 to 2k8.
      I am p!553d that I may have wasted 1200$ for something I could have torrented.

Other than my activation problems I have found it more than capable.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=671

Check there. I posted a solution to a similar problem. Not sure if it will work for you but give it a try.

@Eun-Hjzjined wrote:

Mainly, my problem is that it won’t activate at all…

I have called MS about this and all they say is to buy a new license… Like I am going to spend -another- 1200$ for a single license.

I tried online activation, it tells me the DNS does not exist.
      Over the phone it tells me I that my key is invalid… yet I installed fine and it even selected the correct version from the disk.

I am at my wits end here. I either need another license or a genuine bypass so I can use the OS that I purchased at work when I decide to move from 2k3 to 2k8.
      I am p!553d that I may have wasted 1200$ for something I could have torrented.

Other than my activation problems I have found it more than capable.

Are you sure you are using the DreamSpark key? The Dreamspark keys are Single MAK_B keys (did you get this from My Digital Life?) When it asks for DNS it sounds like you are using a Volume key instead. Vista and Server will install with or without a key, but it still sounds like a volume key to me.

The dreamspark keys if you phone in will get you to activate many times, so far I have done 4 on the same key. Double check the key in your system, enter it again on the computer properties screen, and then try the phone activation you should be fine.

No. you got me wrong. I don’t have a dreamspark key. I have the key that came with my retail disk…

The retail key/mak that came with the disk refused to work. I had to bug MS for nearly 2 weeks for them to activate my dam server.

@Eun-Hjzjined wrote:

No. you got me wrong. I don’t have a dreamspark key. I have the key that came with my retail disk…

The retail key/mak that came with the disk refused to work. I had to bug MS for nearly 2 weeks for them to activate my dam server.

sorry saw the topic assumed you were talking about Dreamspark.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.