A free, almost foolproof way to check for malware

Forums General General Discussion Windows Security A free, almost foolproof way to check for malware

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      hackerman1

How to scan every running process on your system for malware in seconds,
        without installing antimalware software.

How to scan every running process on your system for malware in seconds, without installing antimalware software

Roger A. Grimes
        InfoWorld
        2015-15-11

No single antimalware engine can keep up with all the malware out there.
        But how about 57 of ’em?

In this video, you’ll learn how to download and run Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer,
        to test all currently running executables on your Windows system against VirusTotal´s 57 antivirus engines,
        which together offer the best accuracy you can ever get
        (with a small percentage of false positives that are pretty easy to spot).

VIDEO

Neither the Sysinternals Process Explorer software nor the VirusTotal service cost anything at all.
        The whole setup process will take you about five minutes and the scan, which you can execute any time you like,
        takes less than a minute.
        Only malware in memory will be detected, but if you’re infected, it´s very likely that malicious processes will be running,
        and this easy method will sniff it out.
        Watch and learn.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3014323/security/a-free-almost-foolproof-way-to-check-for-malware.html

If you want to save time and skip watching the video… 😉

Instructions for how to use Process Explorer to check processes on VirusTotal (as shown in the video)

Start Process Explorer
        Click Options
        Navigate down to VirusTotal.com, then go right and mark: Check VirusTotal.com

Note: the original text lightly edited by me.
        fx. i corrected the number of VirusTotal´s engines, it´s (currently) 66, not 57.

Update (15-12-16): the number of engines used on VirusTotal seems to be varying.
        When i scanned a URL a couple of days ago it was 66, but when i use Process Explorer today it´s 57.
        So don´t blame the author for being wrong…. 😉

Anonymous

Conceptually is a great idea that Process Explorer supports VirusTotal hook but actually the engines at VirusTotal does not recognize the most dangerous threads around in these months: ransomware. So good idea, use it but again if a ransomware process is running you will not detect it probably with this method.

Thank you for this tip, anyway!

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.