1G @ rest RAM footprint, is this typical?

Forums General General Discussion 1G @ rest RAM footprint, is this typical?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys

I just bought another drive for my Dell XPS 1710 notebook (4G Ram) and setup Win2008 workstation from MSDN. All went well, I have everything I need to work I think (.net development is my primary use). I do notice that it runs very smoothly, and seems to boot much faster than my XP drive.

WHat I am concerned about is memory footprint. At rest, without SQL server loaded, just IIS, but no AV and minimal drivers, I am sitting at about 950MB – 1G. For an almost fully loaded XP Pro (32) workstation but WITH Kaspersky AV, mozy backup, etc, I am at 470MB.

What I am wondering is if there is a different way between the kernals for measuring RAM used, or perhaps this is typical due to caching or the 32/64 bit difference. I tried killing every killable service on Win2008 but was only able to get the footprint down to 700M. I should probably not worry, as I have 3 usable G left once things are booted, but I am a bit of a Ram weenie and watch it constantly.

Thanks

Arris

Hello,

If you are using SuperFetch (Enabling Superfetch) it is possible that Windows has already loaded often used applications in memory in advance in order to provide a faster startup of the application. This can cause that “Windows” uses that much RAM even before you have started any program.

To get a good view of the processes that are currently running and how much memory they are using, use the Sysinternals Process Explorer tool and select some useful columns to display. (View -> Select Columns -> Process Memory)

Hope this helps you a bit!

i saw what is my baseline memory [however my os is month old]
        i killed all the apps and trays apps just not nod32 🙂
        and ofc make services tweaking too

so its just 650MB of used ram nice to 64bit system 🙂

btw its vlited os

Windows 6 [Vista/2008] will eat memory. It’s designed to. All that memory sitting there is being wasted – so thanks to Superfetch, it remembers what programs [EXE’s] you use on a daily basis, and caches them intelligently – putting that RAM to good use 🙂

Don’t fret though – if you start a game, Windows 6 will purge all the Superfetch data out of RAM IF it needs to 🙂 Believe me, its a good thing!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.